Wednesday, June 21, 2006

Emotional Connections in Cyberspace

Cyberspace is such a corny word -- I suppose I could use Jay Cross' term of internet cloud, but somehow that doesn't do it for me either.

Anyway, in an earlier post, I remarked how I had not felt a social connection with U2 cohorts. A electrically charged thunderstorm fried my satellite system last weekend and since then I have been hanging out in sandwich shops and coffee houses, snagging bandwidth to try to stay on top of my email and keep up with the Pub postings, others' blogs, etc.

When I am in my office sans internet connection, I am incredibly frustrated. My hubby has noticed a marked spike in grumpyness. As a woman of a "certain age" there is nothing else to attribute my sour mood to other than connectivity withdrawal.

I personally know only 2 people in U2. Yet I've chatted, skyped, emailed or read the blogs of most everyone in the group. So is the connection I am withdrawing from electronic, personal, social, metaphysical, or ..... what?

Where is this satellite repair person??? My marriage may depend on a repair coming soon.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home